Document & Data Security
How less-than-best practices in device security, access security, document security and end of life security (Hard Drive Disposal) may be leaving you wide open to a data security breach, leaving your clients vulnerable, and your institution or firm open to hefty fines, expensive litigation, and your reputation at risk.
And whether you believe it or not, unsecured printers and copiers
can compromise the confidentiality of your data and irreparably harm your reputation.
Printers and copiers are the secret backdoor hackers are using right now to compromise networks. Would you invest twenty minutes of your time to avoid a potential breach of client confidentiality that could result in heavy fines and expensive litigation?
Copier Analytics Can Examine This …
At a time when large data breaches are almost a weekly occurrence across all industries, the confidentiality
and protection of data is perhaps one of the greatest challenges faced by ALL industries.
In the news …
• Recent breaches of Protected Health Information (PHI) have resulted in civil penalties and fines reaching into the millions of dollars, including a health plan fined $1.2 million for PHI found on unprotected and unencrypted MFP hard drives.
Hospitals, labs, HMOs and other healthcare organizations have been victims of some of the most damaging and expensive hacks in recent history.
• A Report Published in the HIPAA Journal: 2019 Health Care Data Breaches Setting Records… In 2019, more healthcare records were breached than in all of 2016, 2017 and 2018 combined. With HIPAA Violation Settlements in the Tens of Millions in 2019.
• Mackenzie Garrity– Friday, January 10th, 2020: Hackers demand ransom payments from patients of Florida provider.
• TechCrunch Cybersecurity prediction for 2020: Ransomware attacks on local governments, hospitals and healthcare organizations plagued 2019. To receive decryption codes to regain access, many of these organizations decided to pay the ransom. As hackers have seen success with these types of attacks, smaller and less prepared organizations should be cautious about the possibility of being a target.
Having the HIPAA cops come down on you like a ton of bricks
and the resulting years-long bureaucratic wrangling is potentially catastrophic.
• Verizon 2019 Data Breach Investigations Report Finding: Uptick in Data Disclosure Attacks in Education… Institution Threatening Security Breaches…
• According to JAMF: 35% of All Education Security Breaches Take Place in Higher Ed…
• American Bar Association 2019 Legal Tech Report Finding: One in Four LawFirms Have Experienced a Practice Threatening Security Breach… And that percentage is climbing compared to previous years.
• According To CPA Practice Advisor: Jun 18, 2018–Russian Hackers Specifically Targeting U.S. Accounting Firms. Hackers are now specifically targeting your firm. Firms of All Sizes Can Be Vulnerable to a Practice Threatening Security Breach…
PROFESSIONAL SERVICES FIRMS:
• InfoArmor: Of all the risks professional services firms face, data breaches and identity theft have proven to be among the most pervasive and destructive. Professional services firms are targeted largely due to the types of data they maintain on employees, clients, and customers, and are rarely prepared for data breaches.
• Enzoic on November 12, 2019– Firm Cybersecurity: Professional Services Firms are Vulnerable Targets. In the sea of data breaches, the ones that make the news are really only the tip of the iceberg. Medium-sized firms not only underestimate how likely they are to be the victim of a cyberattack, but they also underestimate the conse quences of an attack.
CNBC Oct 13 2019:
Cyberattacks now cost companies $200,000 on average, putting many out of business.
Give us just 20 minutes and we’ll show you how we not only assess and minimize your risk, but point you to sizable savings opportunities that may be available.
Inexpensive Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled printers can be exploited to potentially access your network.
Security Acts Compliance Requirements
By employing Data Overwrite Security or Removable Hard Drive Systems, companies involved in the collection and dissemination of medical records, e.g., hospitals, healthcare organizations, and human resources protect patient privacy. Specifically, data regarding an individual’s medical condition cannot be retrieved or stolen, thus assisting with necessary HIPAA-compliance requirements. HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) is a law designed to protect working Americans and their families from discrimination based on preexisting medical conditions. In addition, DOSS and RHD options also assists in compliance with financial privacy (Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act) and student privacy (Family Education Rights Privacy Act).
Copier Analytics will help you with assessing your vulnerabilities, establishing security objectives, and taking appropriate countermeasures that will minimize the risk of potentially serious security breaches, and at the same time enable you to meet rigorous security compliance requirements by examining the following areas:
- Device Security
- Access Security
- Document Security
- Device End of Life Security